01 Jun 2005
The flower we claim as our own would be considered today as “totally wild.” Compared with today’s hybrids and mutations, The Schoeppner Rose is a lanky, unruly shrub which blooms for a short time in late spring. However, it is vigorous, hardy, and has beautiful yellow flowers. It root-suckers freely, and so is easily propagated. And it has a history.
Tradition tells us The Schoeppner Rose was brought to the United States by John and Regina Schoeppner when they emigrated from Hausen, Germany, in 1870. Along with their three children (Mary, Caroline, William) they settled in Kniest Township, about 8 miles northwest of Carroll. About 1881 they came to Eden Township, two miles northeast of Templeton, where our grandfather, John George, was born. During this time, The Schoeppner Rose came with them, and was apparently well established on the Templeton farm. John George continued to live on the farm his whole life, and being a nurseryman as well as farmer, cultivated the Rose and many other horticultural plants of the time.
When they sold the family farm in 1969, Uncle Cyril and Aunt Helen moved to a small home in Templeton, taking a shoot of The Schoeppner Rose with them. Helen provided an offshoot to Ruth, and the plant continues to be divided and shared among the present generations.
As of 2005, The Schoeppner Rose is known to be growing in Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, Kansas, and Florida. Anyone who would like to grow it themselves should pass the word among family members, and we can provide a start.